Thursday, June 23, 2005

Destination: Adventure



For a man who wears bikini bottoms and fake boobs, Leslie has more balls than anyone I know. This guy woke up one day and said, "You know, I don't want to work anymore and dress up like a woman every day.", and he fucking did it. The rest of us suckers have to go to work every day and pretend to be satisfied with our lives. This abomination is happier than a pig in shit 24 friggin' 7. It's amazing really. I'm all for reckless abandon, but Jesus!

Speaking of reckless abandon, I did about 3 days in Austin a week ago and did the best I could. I managed to lose $100 in poker the first night I was there and lost another $100 the second night to the same guy. I made quite an exit that second time. I stood up and said, "That's the second time you've done that to me in two days, John Parks!" as I stormed out I shouted, "I'll see you at the bar!" Off to Cain and Able's I went.

Everyone was so young there. "Jesus, I used to fit in here", I thought. I did my best. I sat down to a table with two hot chicks and said, "Hi, I'm all by myself right now would you ladies mind if I join you." I couldn't do that back when I hung out here, but time and travel have made me numb to social situations such as these. The one named Liz was trying to get her friend to break up with her boyfriend. As the drinks went down Liz went from hot to smokin'. I couldn't stop taking her picture. She was digging me, I could tell, and they invited me to their place after the bar closed. I walked Liz back to her place and immediately hit their bottle of Jack. Drinking games commenced. After about 45 minutes or so it was my turn to make a rule. I got up and pointed to Liz, "The rule is that you have to make out with me!" Silence. Then the other guy in the room, who I'd forgotten about, said that I had overstepped my balance or something like that. Then there was talk of a supposed boyfriend she had. Nobody seemed to have a sense of humor about this situation. They were obviously not accustomed to such candidness. Feeling awkward, I turned around and walked out the door without a word. John, like the savior that he is, was right there to pick me up.

Liz, you don't know what your missing sweetheart

The next day was filled with music and friends. On the greens of Zilker Park we sat, drunk, and relaxed. A run in with the Balloonatic and some Dimatap flavored margaritas left us giddy.


Three days later I found myself white water rafting the Snake River in Jackson, Wyoming and camping out in the Tetons getting drunk off of a bottle of Southern Comfort.


Two days ago I was in Denver, Colorado touring my uncle's garden while sipping on a rum and Coke when he told me, "I've found out that poor people can live anywhere, it's the rich people who have to live in certain places." So true.

I may not be to the point of happiness that Leslie has reached with his reckless abandon, but I'm sure trying.

No comments: